These days it seems we’re bombarded with news stories morning, noon and night—from newscasts covering the most recent rants from both sides of the political arena to the latest celebrity breakup, an overload of information is infiltrating our social media newsfeeds. It’s enough to make us want to pull the blanket over our heads & stay in bed.
I think it’s time to take a little break from the serious stuff. We asked four Kalamazoo women four random questions. With responses ranging from a secret desire to be a private detective to a passionate love for the Lake Michigan Lakeshore—these women have all the answers!
Where is your favorite Michigan vacation spot?
- Tillotson: Glen Arbor in the fall—wine tasting, spa treatments, hiking & panoramic views of Lake Michigan
- Widner: Any of the Lake Michigan towns – South Haven, Saugatuck, Holland, Traverse City, Frankfurt and Petoskey are a few!
- Burgett: Definitely Saugatuck. I fell headover-heels for that place.
- Owens: Petoskey!
What do you wish you could do better?
- Widner: I would like to be better at office organization. I don’t always file logically.
- Owens: In my dreams, a scratch golfer!
- Burgett: Time management. From the moment I wake up I’m thinking about everything I need to get done for the day and once one task falls through, I end up scatter-brained for the remainder of the day.
- Tillotson: Dance. Until now, I’ve managed to fake it by acting out song lyrics or pretending I’m made of liquid.
If you weren’t in your current profession, what could you see yourself doing?
- Owens: I think it would be very interesting and cool to work as a private detective.
- Burgett: I would love to be an art teacher, with frizzy hair and paintsmeared overalls…full of encouragement and everyone’s favorite teacher.
- Tillotson: It’s a toss-up between linguist and vegan bakery owner.
- Widner: I would love to work at a college campus in public relations. The energy at a college campus is invigorating!
What movie are you embarrassed to admit to loving?
- Burgett: “A Very Brady Sequel”. I cringed a little as I typed that, but I just love the relationship between Jan and Marcia Brady. I giggle so hard whenever they fight and it’s just the dumbest thing.
- Tillotson: “Notting Hill”. Yes, it’s a soppy love story, but it’s filled with British quips and lessons in decency. Plus, it makes me want to book a trip to London!
- Owens: Toss-up between “Caddy Shack and Toy Story”.
- Widner: I’m embarrassed to admit to loving “Pretty Woman”. A story about a prostitute meeting a rich boyfriend is not really anything I’m proud to admit to enjoying, but there you have it!
So, what’s your favorite getaway in West Michigan? Or that silly movie you can’t help but watch when flipping through TV channels. It takes a brave woman to admit to loving, not “The Brady Bunch Movie”, but the sequel. Marcia, Marcia, Marcia…
Heidi McCrary is a writer and coowner of Ad Shop, etc. – a boutique advertising agency offering full-service and a carte marketing services to local businesses. Contact Heidi at email@example.com and on Facebook at adshopetc.