Serves 4; 2 sliders per serving
- 2 large poblano peppers
- 3/4 pound extra-lean ground beef
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 whole-wheat slider buns (lowest sodium available)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon crumbled cotija cheese
- 1 large Italian plum (Roma) tomato, cut crosswise into 8 slices
- 1 medium avocado, mashed with a fork
- Preheat the oven to 500°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Put the peppers on the baking sheet. Place on the middle rack of the oven. Roast for 10 minutes. Turn over the peppers. Roast for 10 minutes, or until the skins are charred and blistered. Remove from the oven. Put the peppers in a medium bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, using your hands or a spoon, shape the beef into 8 thin patties, each about 3 inches in diameter. (The uncooked patties will be larger than the buns and will shrink as they cook.) Sprinkle the patties with the salt.
- Preheat a large nonstick skillet or griddle pan over medium-high heat. Cook the patties for 2 to 3 minutes. Turn over the patties. Cook for 2 minutes, or until the beef is no longer pink.
- Peel the skin off the peppers by gently rubbing them with a dry towel. Remove the seeds and ribs. Cut each pepper into 4 long strips.
- Place each patty on a bottom bun. Sprinkle with the cotija cheese. Top with 1 pepper slice folded in half and 1 tomato slice. Spread the avocado over the tomato. Put the top buns on the sliders. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Analysis (per serving)
Total Fat 12.5 g
Saturated Fat 3.0 g
Trans Fat 0.0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2.0 g
Monounsaturated Fat 5.5 g
Cholesterol 49 mg
Sodium 491 mg
Carbohydrates 36 g
Fiber 6 g
Sugars 6 g
Protein 25 g
2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat This recipe is reprinted with permission from Sodium-Smart Recipes. Copyright © 2017 by the American Heart Association. Available on ShopHeart.org, while supplies last.